Tuesday 12 July 2011

Thing 5: reflective practice

Time to reflect on what I've done, and learnt, so far. I've previously had reservations about 'reflective practice', suspecting it of being one of those things that people promote as a method when really it's just common sense dressed up with models and tools and tips and acronyms...

But I clearly need to shed this attitude. I can be quite impatient when it comes to my professional life, because I think quickly and am good at analysing and synthesing information. This makes me inclined to mentally jump ahead in work projects and become frustrated when I perceive things as being bogged down in 'process'. I do like to think that I'm always learning, and applying what I learn to future activities, but I certainly don't do it in a systematic way. Time to slow down and see what this reflective practice stuff is all about, then...

I found Emma's post a really useful starting point and I think her and Sarah's blog brilliantly communicates their own reflective practice. The model of what - so what - what now appeals to me as it's simple and not jargonistic, with reassuringly few steps! (Though of course in the graphic it's a never-ending circular process argh!)

I will do a post for each Thing we have covered so far over the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment