Tuesday 13 September 2011

Thing 18: screen capture and podcasts


I could have taught an entire hands-on seminar in the time it took my laptop to download Jing, but that's by the by. I'm also not entirely sure about the little perma-sun at the top of my screen as I keep thinking I've got a blob of custard on it, but I suppose I can always turn it off when I'm not using it. I decided to try a simple screen capture of a record display from our OPAC, highlighting the document delivery option. In the end I did two, indicating the first two stages of the process (a video would have been better, but see below for why I was reluctant to record my voice). These are the two boringly basic screen caps:


Jing was easy peasy to use and I will definitely use it again if I'm trying to explain an online process. (Incidentally though, I didn't really understand the example given in Jing's own tutorial, as it just seemed to be sharing an unannotated map - in that situation why couldn't I just send my friend the direct link to the map?) I'd also like to explore how it might be used in online library induction/training materials.

Since I got my smartphone I have started listening to quite a few podcasts via Google Listen (mainly The Archers if I'm honest) but the subscription model does make it feel a bit like another lot of Stuff to keep up with, like blogs. As for making them myself, I suspect that I'll be giving ice skating lessons in hell before that happens, because I hate my own voice even more than I hate (for example) James Blunt's. But it might be nice to be familiar with the software considering that other library staff occasionally mumble about wanting to 'do a podcast', and I'm always up for dazzling colleagues with my tedious knowledge of some new geeky process. I won't be downloading anything else tonight though, in case my laptop explodes.

2 comments:

  1. Does anyone in the world like the sound of their own voice? Mine is utterly dreadful in real life (substantially less awful in my own head....)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jing, I use it all the time when trying to explain to library staff what to click when they've asked a question. I like how neat the annotations to images are, although normally I am just writing CLICK HERE with a big arrow. Not used video (hate my voice too!)

    ReplyDelete