Monday 19 September 2011

Thing 17: Prezi and Slideshare

Prezi
I've seen some excellent Prezis over the past few months (as well as a few seasick horrors), and luckily my colleagues in our loose library induction working group turned out to be just as keen as I was to try creating our own. (In fact it was Ned Potter's guide that really swung it.)

This will be the third year I've been involved in our annual induction, which has two main components: a presentation which incorporates Cephalonian method questions, and a library scavenger hunt/quiz. In some ways Prezi is a natural fit with our existing presentation, because it isn't linear - the slides are grouped together based on different aspects of the library service, but within these groups the questions could be asked in any order. And I think Prezi will help make the structure more transparent - it's quite dense in information but if we can show where things fit within different 'circles' of the library experience then it might help new students feel less overwhelmed.

On the other hand, first experiments suggested that Prezi would make the practicalities of our method a bit more difficult, since we can't just skip to the correctly numbered slide when a question is asked. But we have a 'controller' who operates the keyboard/mouse while the more show-offy amongst us leap about in front of the screen, so with practice we should be able to get the Prezi operating just as smoothly. Hopefully it should also work as a stand-alone guide which students can view later.

Slideshare
I really like Slideshare as it has allowed me to view presentations from events I couldn't attend in person, to see interesting slides in general, and to borrow ideas for presentations. And if I created something that I thought might conceivably be useful to others I would definitely put it on Slideshare. That's it really. Sharing stuff - what's not to love!


Photo by theevilmightyf on Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment