Tuesday 21 June 2011

Thing 2: investigate some other blogs

So, I have now roamed around a few of the other blogs, new and old, that participants in CPD23 have registered. I did this via Delicious, where participants have been helpfully tagged for easier browsing. But what criteria to use to check out someone's blog, given that I definitely couldn't look at all of them?

First I looked at a few people who were in the same sector as me. In my limited experience, the role of a librarian or information worker varies wildly between (and actually even within) sectors, so I thought I might have more of a chance of knowing what people were on about if I focused on academic/research libraries like my own. Edit: forgot to say that I was also on the look-out for people working on repositories and open access, as I've recently been involved in setting up our repository and hope to expand my knowledge in that area...

I also looked mainly at UK people, not because I don't enjoy and learn from all the US and other overseas librarians I follow via their blogs or on Twitter, but because in terms of professional development I have more to contribute, and learn, about the UK.

A third criterion was to - initially anyway - ignore people I already know, either in person or online. I am very interested to see how my existing contacts get on with CPD23, but decided that I wanted to seek out new people first!

I found it interesting stumbling on the blogs of people who had never blogged before (my library contacts are a pretty self-selecting group of social media mavens!) and people who didn't like the idea of putting themselves 'out there' online at all. I wonder if they will change their minds by the end of CPD23?

I have subscribed to a few of the blogs via my Google Reader and will no doubt add more. Now to go forth and comment!

3 comments:

  1. Hello Rachel,

    Is it OK if I tag your blog in Delicious with 'digitalrepositories'? I've already found one other, http://storr23.blogspot.com/ working in a similar area, so it might be good to be able to connect more of you? Do say if you've found any other similar blogs that would benefit from extra tags.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that's fine, thanks Katie! Other repository people I've stumbled on: http://colesklibrarian.wordpress.com/
    and
    http://annaslibrarythoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I've changed your entry - off now to investigate those other leads.

    ReplyDelete