Wednesday 12 October 2011

Some updates

Before I complete the programme with a final(?) reflective post for Thing 23, here's a couple of updates on earlier Things:

1. Prezi (Thing 17)
Last week we gave our annual library induction presentation (to two groups of about 80 students each) and used our new Prezi for the first time. To be honest it was a bit of a struggle making it fit with our Cephalonian method of having questions thrown at us from the audience, but luckily we had an accomplished mouse-tamer on the team to navigate around the different circles of the presentation... I managed to watch some of it from the back when my part of the presentation was finished and although we did occasionally fall into the Prezi traps of a) having bits of one section visible when we were talking about another, and b) zooming around too much, overall it looked far nicer than our old Powerpoint and I think all the fiddle was worth it.

2. Wikis (Thing 13)
I've been itching to create a wiki and finally I went ahead and did it even though I wasn't sure whether anyone else was going to participate. It's a Wikispaces wiki for guidelines, tips, resources etc on maintaining the library's social media presence. At the moment this translates to 'that stuff Archel does on Twitter which nobody else gives two hoots about' but I'm hopeful that other people will eventually contribute and that if we do branch out into other social networks it will become genuinely useful. As a true child of Web 2.0 I like the nice clean format, the WISIWYG editing and the way it's let me liberate some of my notes/knowledge/links from a) my hard drive and b) my brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment