Wednesday 31 August 2011

Thing 15: attending and participating in events

Before I had a 'proper' library job I almost never sought out or volunteered for events or training, because a) I didn't really fit into any one sector and there just didn't seem to be relevant events out there for me, b) there was never really any money or encouragement to go to them, and c) it was usually a logistical nightmare due to having an infant to look after at the beginning, middle and end of every day.

But since I started in my current post in 2009 I have become something of an events junkie. Unlike a (lovely) ex-colleague who cheerfully declared that 'I'd rather stick a pencil in my eye than go to Umbrella', I volunteer for every conference, visit and training session that could possibly be construed as relevant. Why the change? I think it's partly down to what might be called an 'enabling environment' - I'm encouraged and often expected to attend training and library events, and my personal capacity to do things has also increased now my daughter is older. I'm also hearing about a lot more opportunities through my engagement with social and professional networks.

I'm not sure I have any great tips to pass on about attending events, except:

1. make sure you build in 'alone' time for reflection/recuperation, especially if the event lasts several days and there's a busy programme.

2. talk to people. This is scary, but I find it helps if you don't think of it as 'networking' and ease yourself in gently by starting a conversation about the biscuits or something. I also like to home in on someone I follow on Twitter and stalk them until they talk to me give them a compliment about their brilliant tweets etc.

3. think about how you are going to apply what you've learned/communicate it to the rest of your team when you get back to work. Kind of the opposite of 'what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas'.

4. get free stuff

I haven't yet been a speaker at any kind of event, but I'd quite like to, if I had anything to say! There are one or two things I could probably bang on about but other people are already banging on about them much better than I can. Maybe next year...

As for organising things, well my past experience of running events (not in a library context) has given me the unfortunate impression that it's a mug's game, fraught with logistical and political problems and generally not worth the effort. Which isn't to say I'll never do it again, because I am a known masochist. I do love the idea of TeachMeets, LibraryCamp, and other informal events. We have a regular 'tweetup' where I live, which happily bridges the gap between online interaction and real life, with beer. I know there are library tweetups happening all over already, but if there's any interest in a regular Brighton/Sussex/South East event then I'm sure something could be arranged...

...oops, told you I was a masochist.

Photo by phonakins on Flickr

1 comment:

  1. Just realised I did point 2 above to you at the RDA thingummy (stalk/eye up name badge/approach with gushing praise of tweets/talk about cake...)

    Just organise a blimmin TeachMeet and be done with it. Tis worth it, honest.

    ReplyDelete